Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Scripture Power

"Scripture Power" is my all time favorite primary song!  It isn't in the Children's Songbook, but it was published in "The Friend" and was one of the Sharing Time songs about ten years ago, so it's approved for us to use.  You can find the sheet music here. 
 
My flip chart uses a lightening bolt as a symbol for the word "power."  Before you begin teaching the song, I recommend you spend a week on the activity "The Power of Scriptures."  This will help the children understand what kind of power the song is describing.
 
Ask the children to watch the flip chart as they listen to the song and count the number of times they hear the word "power."  (There are six in the first verse and five in the second). Have them listen again and stand/sit whenever they hear it.  Once they are familiar with the music, go on to teach the song.
 
 
 
 
Because I want to be like the Savior, and I can,

I'm reading His instructions, I'm following His plan.

Because I want the power His words will give to me,

I'm changing how I live, I'm changing what I'll be.


Scripture power keeps me safe from sin.
 

 
Scripture power is the power to win.
 

Scripture power!  Every day I need

The power that I get each time I read.

 
 
The second verse talks about the armor of God.  Help the children to understand by first doing the "Armor of God" song-choosing activity and/or coloring page.
 
 
 
I'll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.

I'll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.

I'll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord,
 
And fight my daily battles, and win a great reward.
 
 
 
 
Tip:  Put the flip chart into a binder (or plastic folder with brads) and plastic sheet protectors.  Each sheet protector after the first will have two pages inside- a picture on the front and the lyrics to the next picture on the back.  Then when you open the flip chart, it will look like this:
 
When the children have learned the song pretty well, you can start turning the pages backward on each other so that just the picture is showing.
 
 
 
 
If you like, you can sing the three verses from "Heroes of the Scriptures" to the tune of "Scripture Power!"  I don't have a flip chart for the extra verses, but I do have some lip-sync puppets.
 
 
 
 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaGNthpkBOXUlJlZUV2djcxQ2c/view?usp=sharing

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh! You are AMAZING! Thank you for taking the time to not only do your calling as a chorister, but to post this all here. I can't imagine how much extra effort that takes, but I want you to know that it is being used and appreciated! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in Primary for over a year and not chorister for almos three lol. I just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are back with lesson plans. Yours are my favorite. Thank you from California!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flip charts are my fave! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I love the folder idea! I REALLY appreciate all of the work you have put into this. I am new at this calling.

    ReplyDelete