Friday, April 25, 2014

I Am a Stripling Warrior



A lot of choristers are bored with the usual Mother's Day songs and are looking for something different.  As a chorister, I'm all about keeping it simple this time of year.  But, as a mom, I'm 100% on board.  If you're looking to shake things up this year, one option is this great song written by Lee Slichter.  She has generously shared it with us all free of charge.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to illustrate it, but I wanted to share it with you.


An MP3 of the accompaniment can be found here.
Sheet music is available here.
And the lyrics are as follows:

Verse 1:
Two-thousand Stripling Warriors,
Strong and brave and true
Had faith that would not waver
Because their mothers knew.
Though young, they trusted fully.
They stood for what was right.
My mother tells the story
and I trust with all my might.

chorus:
I am a Stripling Warrior.
I hold the shield of faith
That comes from my own mother.
It will guide me all my days.
She armed me with the Sword of Truth
And hope in God above.
I will follow her example
To trust in our Father's love.

Verse 2:
She prays to Heavenly Father
With a faith so pure.
I know I cannot doubt him
Because my mother's sure.
The Spirit guides her actions.
She guides with gentle hands.
She comforts, guides and teaches.
She tells me who I am.

Verse 3:
Our Savior's pow'r reflected
In the love that I feel
When mother speaks of Jesus
And how His grace is real.
The stirring in my heart proves
That I have learned the truth.
I am a Stripling Warrior.
I have faith beyond my youth.


When you introduce the song, you might review the story of the Stripling Warriors and explaining to the children how it ties in with Mother's Day.  If you do, consider using the 2000 Warriors illustration found here.

Since the song isn't included in the Children's Songbook or the Hymnal, you will need to get permission to teach it from your Primary President or Bishop.  And she does ask, for her own curiosity, that if you do teach the song, you drop her a line at leeslichter@gmail.com  and let her know where you are.  


8 comments:

  1. I don't see the link for the sheet music. Can you help me find it, please?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find the links either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look above where it says:

      An MP3 of the accompaniment can be found here.
      Sheet music is available here.

      click on "here" at the end of the sentence

      Delete
  3. Any great ideas to teach this song?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a flip chart for this song made already? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I've left the church. I hope you find one.

      Delete