Thursday, December 26, 2013

Lesson Plans: January 2014

1.  Introduce the song of the month by discussing Christ's birth, life, resurrection and example.

2.  Teach the song "He Sent His Son" by matching the questions to the elements of Christ's life.  

3.  Practice the song "He Sent His Son" with the "Who Sings Now" activity, but instead of splitting the primary between Verses 1 and 2, have one group sing the Questions and one group sing the Answers.

4.  Play a memory game by turning all of the visual aides from the flip chart around and having the children match the questions with the answers.  Split the primary into two groups.  Have one group try to make a match.  If they succeed, they get to pick a song to sing.  If they don't make a match, sing "He Sent His Son."

5.  Discuss other gifts that Heavenly Father has given us with the second option under the Thanksgiving Turkey activity.  (Print the gifts instead of the turkey.)  Or use the Valentines Activity.  

6.  Have a Primary Song Showcase.  Ask members of the ward to come to Primary and perform each of the new songs for 2014.  

7.  Explain that if we are to live like Christ, we must know more about him.  Use the Character Traits of Christ Activity.

8.  Review the song by introducing the Song Birds activity.

9.  Consider spending a week singing the favorite song of each new Sunbeam to help them feel welcome and get them involved.  Make sure to read the article "How to Help New Sunbeams Pay Attention."

10.  Use the Dynamics Practice to get the children to repeat the song many times and really listen to what the words mean.  Consider using the YouTube link in the post to tie "He Sent His Son" to "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus" in order to reinforce the message.

11 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for sharing your amazing talents with the rest of us!
    Peace and Blessings to you....... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your hard work. I'm actually planning out my whole month in advance this time, and your ideas are invaluable for that. Also, I appreciate not having pop-up ads when I visit your site . . . that's a problem I've had with a few of the popular sharing sites. It's nice not dealing with distractions to the Spirit when trying to prepare for Primary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously...these are amazing. I plan about a month at a time and it's so nice to see what you're doing, too! It gives me ideas and I love using your artwork. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these! I know I could just put my plan on a plain piece of paper, but this is SO much more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you SO much for this! All last year I did not plan ahead which resulting in me dragging my feet every Sunday and really not liking my calling. You have helped me plan my whole January without doing much work. Thanks so much for posting your plans and having simple ideas and multiple ones too. You have blessed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!! Your ideas are perfect for my primary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all the hard work you do. You are the first blog I go to when I am in a rut or need a new idea. You are an answer to so many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...thank you so much!!! I can't begin to tell you how helpful this is!!! Thank you for your hard work and your willingness to share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Thank you! This is so helpful and I love all the ideas! Thanks for sharing. Your blog has saved me when I can't think of anything to do MANY times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are an incredible music teacher. I'm prying, but do you have a music background? I'd love to know more about you because each time I log on to your site, I'm really blown away with your knowledge of kids and music. Love to hear about you.
    Thanks for all your help. I've had this calling several times, which is my favorite, but I'm running out of steam and you really rejuvenate me for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's really sweet. I actually do have a music background. I played about a dozen instruments in high school, with an emphasis on bassoon. I had several music scholarships but I ended up studying English for a while before having my children. Since then I've taught some private lessons, but not much.

      Delete