Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Nativity Song

For this song, I've created two documents.  

The first includes all of the pictures shown below, with the capitalized rhyming words.  

To teach the song, you could post the first half of each rhyme on the board and scatter the second half of the rhymes around the room.  As you teach the song, let the children find the matches.

To review, you might play a matching game.  Shuffle the pages.  Post them all at the front of the room with the picture sides hidden.  Have the children take turns turning over two pages at a time.  When they find a match, sing the corresponding verse.  (When I play the matching game, I like to post the pictures up-side-down with one piece of tape at the top.  Then when the children choose a picture, you can flip it up like a hinge instead of taking it completely off of the board.  You can also number the backs of the pages and ask children to tell you the number they want to see rather than turning the pictures over themselves.  This saves lots of time in large primaries.)

The second document shows only half of the pictures, with no words.  This document would be useful as a flip chart for performances.  It will help the children remember which verse comes next, but will not have enough page turns to be distracting.


This is the season, beloved of the YEAR

Sing a rhyme; Christmas time soon will be HERE.

Tell the true story of Jesus' BIRTH


When, as a baby, he came to the EARTH.

This is the new star, shining so BRIGHT.

Lighting the world on that first Christmas NIGHT

This is the angel proclaiming the BIRTH,


Singing "Hosanna!"  and "Peace on the EARTH!"

This is the stable, shelter so BARE;

Cattle and oxen first welcome him THERE.

This is the manger, sweet hay for a BED,

Waiting for Jesus to cradle his HEAD.


These are the shepherds, humble and MILD.

Hast'ning to worship the heavenly CHILD.

These are the wise men who followed the STAR,

Frankincense, gold and myrrh brought from AFAR.

See the sweet mother, Mary so FAIR,

Joseph, who guided the donkey with CARE.

See the dear baby of BETHLEHEM,



Little Lord Jesus, the Savior of MEN.




For the rhyming/matching document:

For the flipchart document:

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so so much!! I was just given the heads up that our kids are being asked to sing this song at our ward Christmas party in Dec. and it's a longer one with trickier words. You've simplified it greatly and made my job so much easier. Thank you for everything you've offered here, I use your blog all the time -- I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved all the Christmas helps you've been publishing. I don't know if you're planning to keep making more, but if you are, may I request "When Joseph went to Bethlehem?" Don't feel pressured if it doesn't fit in with your life right now, I just like that one a lot. It gives the boys a good role model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! Thank you. I think the words are "off" on the rhyming game - from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for everything! You are very talented! I am a new chorister and am so happy I found your blog! Thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a new chorister (and a new member so that makes it even more interesting!). I really appreciate the simplicity of the graphics you share. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Jessica. I think I hit the wrong button and there's no way to republish. We still love you :)

      Delete
  7. Just another chorister thanking you so much for sharing these simple and beautiful visuals with all of us! I truly appreciate your talent and can't believe I can just print these off whenever I need to. My job has totally been easier a few times this year because I found your blog. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much. I was looking for a little paper nativity to send to my daughter in the mission field. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the time you have put into these amazing visuals! And for freely sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so great! Thanks for putting this together! I would love to use this but I'm having a problem where I'm only getting every other picture when I click on the PDF :( I don't know if that's something on my end? Or if something is up with the PDFs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing! I've used so many of your ideas in primary. I am wondering if you have a file shows the picture with the line of the song with rhyming word highlighted? It is the way it is shown on your post. When I open you file, it only shows the rhyming word without the song line. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to print it out how it is on the site, with the words. (My kids haven't learned this yet, and we are not learning it this year but I want to sing it with the kids for sharing time.) Do you have that? I like breaking things up into smaller sections, like you did. I usually don't like having words when I am actually trying to teach it, but since it is a song they only get to sing a couple times a year, I tried to add the words to the second document but I can't and not all the pictures were there.

    ReplyDelete