Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Song: A Child's Prayer


For August's song, I will teach each verse separately, using the flip chart at the bottom of the page.  Then, I will teach the children to put the two verses together by having them sing along while I play the video below on my iPad or laptop.  If you don't wish to use the video, the flipchart includes the side-by-side clipart for the third time through.


video

The video is also available on YouTube.

I can't guarantee this will work, but I've tried to make the video available for download here.


Heavenly Father, are you really there?


And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?


Some say that heaven is far away


But I feel it close around me as I pray.


Heavenly Father, I remember now


Something that Jesus told his disciples long ago,


"Suffer the children to come to me,"


Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.


Pray, He is there.


Speak, He is listening.


You are His child.


His love now surrounds you.


He hears your prayer.


He loves the children.


Of such is the kingdom,



The kingdom of heaven.










EXTRA IDEAS:

1.  Before you teach this song, quickly teach the children first verse either "Jesus Loved the Little Children," or "I Think When I Read That Sweet Story."   Have them look up the scripture Matthew 19:14 and quickly review the story of Jesus blessing the children.

2.  Ask the children to listen for the questions posed in the first verse and the answers to those questions in the second verse.  ("Heavenly Father, are you really there?"  "Pray, He is there."  and "And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?"  "Speak, He is listening.")  then ask them How we know that Heavenly Father loves us and wants to hear from us?  "I feel it close around me as I pray," "His love (blessings) surrounds you."  "He loves the children."  and we remember the story from the scriptures.)

3.  Talk about the different reasons we may have for praying.  Some are found in the flip chart and some are not.  That activity can be found here.  Consider teaching the song "Children All Over the World."

4.  Practice singing the song in two parts with the activity found here.




12 comments:

  1. You are awesome. (: I was just called and about died of happiness when I found your site! Question - what do you do with your hands during the songs? Are you holding something with the words on, some sort of prop, doing actions, conducting? I always feel a little bit silly with my hands because conducting doesn't seem quite exciting enough for little kids, so I just end up holding a chart with the words on. Just curious about what you do! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got this calling as well and I feel the same way! Check out this awesome facebook site I found for Primary Choristers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ldsprimarychoristers/

      I've been folding my arms to show reverence, or pitch leading :)

      Delete
    2. If I'm not turning pages of a flip chart, or doing the actions to a song then I'm conducting the song. It helps the kids get used to seeing it and learning what it means. It helps them know how to follow fermatas and when to start and end the song. Plus then I don't look like a singing statue in the front of the room.

      Delete
  2. I love the Facebook group, too! They have great ideas and there are other talented bloggers on there. I personally lead the music. I know that it isn't necessary, but I think it's good for them to get used to seeing. On the weeks we are learning, I stick the pictures to the board and point as we go

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm this is the vest flip chart ever! I love how specific the pictures are to the words being sung. Sometimes pictures can be a little too generic on flip charts. Can't wait to use this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! That's one of the things I try very hard to accomplish and I never know if I actually have :)

      Delete
  4. Love this!! I would like to use the video tomorrow but cannot figure out how to download it and burn it to a DVD. Our ward is a bit behind in the electronics area and my laptop will not be loud enough. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that you'd be able to left click on the video and copy it. If that's not possible, there are tools you can download online to capture YouTube videos. I don't know which ones are the best, unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. I can't open up the PDF...it says I need a Google account? Help! I need this...today (yeah, I'm a procrastinator).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should work, but if it doesn't you can left click on each picture, copy and paste into a document. Set narrow margins first.

      Delete
  6. FYI you have "Something that Jesus told his disciples long ago," in the 6th picture in the flipchart, but there is no "his" in that line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That our cool, excuse my English, I am Brazilian, I'll use your figures!

    ReplyDelete