Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Review: My Heavenly Father Loves Me

This game is one of my kids' favorites!  It looks intimidating, but it's super easy once you understand the idea.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Should I post other songs?


To prepare the game:
1.  Download the PDF at the bottom of the page.
2.  Print the first two pages
3.  Print the third and forth pages on the back of the first two.
4.  Cut out the strips.


Now you should have a puzzle with the picture on one side and the lyrics to the song on the other.  Cut a piece of clear shelf paper big enough to cover the entire puzzle.  Remove the backing and attach it to the blackboard, sticky-side-out, with magnets or tape.  Note:  an anonymous commenter left the suggestion to use press-and-seal kitchen paper so the puzzle lasts for multiple uses.  Y'all are geniuses!  (I wish I could get that stuff in Holland!)  Attach the puzzle pieces, lyrics-side-out, to the blackboard with magnets or clear tape.  
Tell the children that they need to learn the song so well that they can recite it inside-out, backward and forward.  They're going to see if they can sing the song from the end to the beginning.  Take the strip that reads "Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me." and place it at the bottom of the piece of shelf paper.  Explain that this is the last line of the song. 
Ask them to sing the song with you and listen for the line that occurs just BEFORE this one.  Sing through the song and ask the children which word strip belongs just above the one that you've already posted.  Have them find the word-strip and carefully attach it to the shelf paper above the first. 
Continue the game until all the word strips are on the page in the correct order.  When the lyrics are complete, remove the magnets holding up the shelf paper and turn it around, showing the children the picture side of the puzzle. 










Note:  In the interest of time, you may need to sing each verse separately (second verse first).  Alternately, you may ask the children to listen for the previous TWO word strips.  This is often too difficult for the children at the beginning of the game, but it is much easier when half of the word strips are already gone.



The original image, "Creation-Living Creatures" is borrowed from the LDS Media Library.

24 comments:

  1. tmay13@hotmail.com - yes please send the ready to print file. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi can you send me it as well? Thanks so much! rclautenschlager@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get the email. THis is great. beverlybrierley@gmail.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi can you please send me this as well. anitabroczek@gmail.com. Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to share the pdf's on the blog :) If anybody happens to know, can you share your wisdom with me? erinisenberg@hotmail.com THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no trouble downloading to my Mac. Thanks for this, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good! I think I may have fixed my problem. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a neat idea! But, it's just a one-time puzzle, right? Will the pieces come back off the sticky paper or will I need to make two copies if I want to do it twice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami- yes, it only works once :(. In my current ward, our Jr. and Sr. Primaries are combined for Sharing Time/Singing Time, so I can ask the older children to help the younger ones read the lines. In my previous ward, I only played this game with the Senior Primary, and I did the Family game or another game with the Junior that week. Maybe next time I make a puzzle, I will make one with pictures for the Junior as well?

      Delete
    2. If you laminate it you can use it again.

      Delete
  9. Great idea! I had something like this in mind...you put it on paper and I like how it turned out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! It's a simple idea, but it took a little work to get it ready to print :)

      Delete
  10. Hey my name is Raina Brown and I LOVE this can you email this to lbdq@chevron.com and/or reelbrown12@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much,
    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I figured out how to print it front to back, with only printing pages 1,3 and then printing pages 2,4 front to back. If your printer does that, I would suggest it, otherwise you'll glue the words to the back of the pictures?

    Also, I think I'm going to laminate it, becasue I think the laminating will come off the contact/shelf paper. Since I want to use it more than once. Or if you didn't want to laminate, I think it would work to tape just the edges of each piece to a sheet protector. then peel the tape off gently to use again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also just write the words on the back if it's difficult. With a lot of printers, it's hard to get them to line up precisely.

      Delete
  12. Instead of Contact/shelf paper I'm going to use Glad "Press 'n Seal" because it's what I have at home! I tried it and the paper comes off without being ruined!!! Thanks for the AWESOME idea! It's just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reporting back: Press 'n' Seal worked like a charm! And the kids loved it. They didn't quite know what I meant when I told them we were putting together a puzzle until I flipped it around. I made two others, too -- one for the last two verses of I Am a Child of God and All Things Bright and Beautiful. They weren't as professional looking as yours, but still really fun. Thanks for an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update! I can't get that stuff in Holland, so I couldn't try it out. I added the suggestion to the instructions. Y'all are so awesome. I'd love to see your other two. We can always use more genus ideas!

      Delete