Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Song: If the Savior Stood Beside Me

(For a note on using cartoon pictures of Christ, please visit my explanation here.  As always, if you feel uncomfortable using my drawings and ideas, I suggest that you not use them.  Thanks!)

For this song, I created the art and lyrics separately.  Cut out the lyrics and post them on the board in the correct order.  Then cut out the pictures and hang them in visible spots around the primary room.  As you learn the song, have the children look for the picture that best fits each line.  Cover the words with the picture and see if the children can remember the words. 

(I plan to introduce this song with the activity found here and review with the activity found here.)


"If the Savior stood beside me,"

"Would I do the things I do?"

"Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?"

"Would I follow His example?"

"Would I live more righteously if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?"





"If the Savior stood beside me,"

"Would I say the words I say?"

"Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?"


"Would I try to share the gospel?"

"Would I speak more reverently if I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me?"





"He is always near me, though I cannot see him there."

"And because He loves me dearly,"

"I am in His watchful care."

"So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be,"

"If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me."


When you teach this song, please be sure to explain the symbolism, especially in the third verse.  (The Savior doesn't literally stand in a cloud in your bedroom as you pray- the picture shows that He is interested in what you have to say.  The Savior doesn't literally stand over your bed when you are sick- the picture shows that He is worried about your well-being.)  If you think that this concept will be difficult for your primary to understand, please consider using different clipart.


OPTIONAL:

-Sally DeFord actually wrote SIX verses to this song!  To read the other three beautiful verses and the adorable story of how she wrote the song for her daughter, Holly's baptism, visit her page HERE.

-Sister DeFord is careful to let us know that she didn't write this song to tell her daughter to be more righteous, but because her daughter was already such a wonderful example to her!  Explain to the children that following Christ means both avoiding sin and doing Christlike things.  See if they can spot both in the pictures.  There are two pictures of children making poor choices.  Ask what those two children did to change their behavior and make better decisions?

-On week three or four of this month, you might consider using the song review HERE. 


35 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love the pics and how they teach the concepts of the song memorably, without a lot of words. I think the kids will be able to associate those concepts more easily (and thus remember the lyrics). I sure appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback! After spending two weeks staring at it, I'm never sure if it really says what I think it says anymore :) I'm glad the idea came through.

      Delete
    2. I love how simple it is for the teacher to prepare and also for the lds to receive. Good job.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm SO glad I stumbled across your blog! I've been stressing out about how I was going to teach all 3 verses of this song & your pictures are perfect! Thank-you SO much for sharing your talent with us other Music Choristers that aren't quite so artistic... And for helping us teach such a beautiful message through pictures & song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing. I'll put a link in my Brazillian blog to this.
    Hugs from Brazil.
    Dani
    http://primariasudonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered making clip art/ flip chart for the three additional verses? I know I would love to have a matching set!
    Thank you.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will, but it wouldn't be until later in the year. I know it doesn't look like it, but they take a long time to make. I'm still working with MS Paint lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, I love these drawings you do and can tell you put a lot of time and effort into them. Thank you so much for sharing with the rest of us! I have one comment about these pictures though. Is there anyway you could change the picture for "do the things I do"? My heart just sinks when I see how violent the image is and I would not feel right about showing that picture to children in my home let alone at church. I hope you understand. I'm sure you went back-and-forth on different options you could create for those lyrics. Perhaps something like taking a toy from a friend, stealing a candybar, playing a cruel trick, tripping someone, or even a little shove in the back would be less violent and perhaps more appropriate for Sunday learning. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It came out more forceful than I wanted it but my subsequent attempts haven't been very good. i'm hoping to have a new one this week before you have to teach it.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I must be a terrible mom, because I'd totally use this one to teach my kids at home lol. Of course, my youngest is 9, so it's not like they're Sunbeams :)

      Delete
    3. You are too funny. I'm sure you are an awesome mom! I think the age group makes a big difference. I have 4 kids at home and the oldest is only 6, so we are very much still in the Sunbeam mentality. I totally get that. You are so sweet for being willing to work on another image. I'm sure the sunbeams will especially appreciate it :)

      Delete
    4. Erin! That is awesome! I love it! So cute and clever! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  7. Erin, you are amazing and make me look so creative and amazing in primary every week. Thank you much for sharing your ideas and drawings. I am not musically inclined and can't carry a tune for the life of me. This calling is a huge challenge for me and by using your inspiration and adding a little bit of my own, I am able to teach my 150 amazing kids. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I never know if anything I do is working ;). By the way, I can't carry a tune, either. The kids kind of love that! I tell them they're going to have to sing louder because nobody wants to hear Sister Isenberg lol.

      Delete
    2. I say the same thing, Sis. Morrison just did another solo, Jr. Primary is pretty much a solo with me not hitting any note. It is very embarrassing. Just thank, again.

      Delete
  8. Uggg, I was signed in as my son, this is really me not dubnuzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your flipchart! For some reason, I can't seem to print it from the pdf. Any chance you could email it to me? Maybe that would work better? Thanks so much for sharing! alyssawelsch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do this all in Paint?!? You have some great talents. Love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with the trackpad on my laptop lol. I'm technologically challenged.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work with us. It makes my job a lot easier to have someone so talented willing to share. I'll be watching for the things that you post and using them to teach the songs here in Virginia.
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your images and I can tell that you put a lot of time into them. I keep stopping at the illustrations of Christ though... I remember being taught steer clear of cartoon type depictions of Christ. I wish I could find the documentation about this, but it's Saturday night and I'm still planning what I'm going to do tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found the post on cartoons helpful. I think that if you feel bad about it, you probably shouldn't use it, but I can't find anything specific against it.

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for putting so much time into making these wonderful images! I love them and am definitely going to use them to teach this song. As another commenter posted early, if you ever do end up making images for the rest of the verses in the song, I would love to know and use them to teach all verses of this song. Thank you again for sharing your amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I end up doing the other verses, I will try and let you know!

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much! You saved my sunday! March caught me by surprise and I woke up stressed about how I was going to teach my kids this song, so I hoped online typed in the song, found your website, and within 5 minutes had a printable and NO STRESS! thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's happened to me more times than I want to admit:)

      Delete
  15. Darling!!! Beautiful work. Makes me want to be the Primary Chorister so I could use them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable. Thank you for the help

    ReplyDelete
  17. My primary kids wanted me to let you know that they especially love the "Kick me" sign and the girl saying, "Grr". I'm not sure what that says about my primary kids, but I think your visual aids are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. My kids helped me come up with the kick-me sign. I'm not saying that they've done it before, but... it didn't take long to think of it.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste, my computer is being schizophrenic right now. I am trying to check the link, but if it doesn't work, you can also left click on each picture, copy and paste into a Word document.

      Delete
    2. Also, I don't know why it removed your comment! I hope you got it to work.

      Delete
  19. The general Primary presidency requests we do it use cartoon I pictures of our Savior. Too many things in this world are pretend. They want children to know Jesus Christ is REAL. For pictures of the Savior- we are instructed to use church approved materials. Your ideas are darling- you could switch out the cartoon image of the Savior for the one from the church library that has him surrounded by children?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Court, can you tell me where to find that? I've been looking for a couple of years and can't find the source.

      Delete