Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Practice: The People in My Neighborhood

(Note: the card representing Christ was meant specifically for use in introducing the song "If the Savior Stood Beside Me."  Please use the Spirit in deciding whether or not to use this card for any other activities.  For a note on using cartoon pictures of Christ in teaching, please visit here.)

These cards are meant to review any song.

I plan to introduce them as we learn "If the Savior Stood Beside Me."  Before we learn the song, I will have the children choose several cards, one at a time, and think about how they would act if that person were in the room with them.  What would they do?  What would they wear?  How would they feel?  What would they say?  Then I will show them the card with Jesus on it and ask the same questions.  

I'll teach the song, using the activity found here and when they know it, we will review the song using these same cards.  One at a time, I will have the children choose a card and we will sing the song as the person on the card would sing it.

On the last week of the month, I plan to do the review/understanding activity found here.




Ballerina: turn in circles while you sing.


Drummer: gently drum the beat or the rhythm on the chair in front of you while you sing


Cowgirl:  sing with a country twang.


Opera Singer:  sing with a strong vibrato, like an opera singer


Race Car Driver:  sing really fast.


Robot:  sing in monotone, like a robot voice


Diver:  Move your finger up and down over your lips while you sing, like you're under water.





Tight-rope Walker:  balance on one foot while you sing.



Soldier:  march while you sing

Jesus:  sing super reverently.


(For another set of cards, see the post here. Also, if you have ideas for other cards you'd like me to make, leave suggestions in the comments. I plan to have a second set ready in a few weeks.)

17 comments:

  1. These are really cute, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Thank you!
    Maybe for the next set a Librarian and the kids could whisper sing or even "shhh" their neighbors during any breaks in the song?
    Or a Bishop card and the kids could reverently walk around the room shaking each others' hands while singing? Or a pioneer card where they just walk and walk - in place or around the room. I've done the walking around the room for pioneer songs and it usually works great if I give the kids one key word to listen for - when they hear/sing that word they need to start heading back to their seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the Librarian and the Bishop card ideas. My kids (and their teachers) would totally dig those. Any chance on making those, Erin? *batting eyes* :D

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty sure but not positive that we aren't supposed to use Jesus in cartoon form when teaching in primary. I think it might say it in the primary handbook. If I am wrong, could someone let me know? Otherwise I would love to use these adorable drawings for my primary kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been replacing all the cartoon pictures of Jesus used by former choristers in visual aids. We were shown an example of a cartoon picture of Jesus and a beautiful drawing/painting and asked how each made us feel. There was an obvious difference for everyone in the room. I can't find it in the handbook, but I know we were advised by someone- maybe the general board when they visited our stake?

      Delete
    2. Jane, I decided to put Jesus in this set of cards specifically to go with the "If The Savior Stood Beside Me" activity. He is meant to introduce the idea that we follow certain patterns of behavior when certain people are around and then to ask how we would behave if He were around. After this lesson, I don't plan to use Him again because I wouldn't find it a respectful use. For a more detailed answer to your question about cartoon pictures of Christ, I'm in the process of putting up a separate post. The short answer is I've looked into it and I personally think it's fine. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  5. Are we allowed to use Jesus in cartoon form when we teach in Primary? I'm pretty sure the primary handbook says not to but I'm now positive. Can someone let me know so I can possibly use this adorable idea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in LOVE with these! Especially the JESUS one! :D I'm using them today!!! LOVE your blog and am SO glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Jesus one. I heard of that guideline years ago, but everyone I talk to seems to not be aware of it. Maybe it depends on your Primary President? I actually find my children like the more simplistic drawing of Jesus.
    Please keep doing them! Maybe those that were advised not to use them can just choose not to use that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't find the guideline anywhere, either. I try to supplement with more realistic pictures when I use drawings. And I don't use that card for every activity.

      Delete
  8. The link above does not take me to the pdf for these cards it takes me to flipchart I'll walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Pete's Sake! How did I do that? It's fixed now.

      Delete
  9. Bishop and Librarian cards? Pretty please with sugar on top? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I click the download button, the tightrope walker seems to be missing. ??? Thanks, I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting all your lovely images. I use them often! The tightrope walker is missing from the download, just as FYI. Also, my kids love singing with a british accent, so maybe a Harry Potter card if you every feel like adding to an already incredible list. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete