Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Heavenly Father Loves Me




Following are a set of color and a set of black and white pictures for teaching both verses of the song. Copy and paste them into a word document or click on the link below for the ready-to-print PDF.  I've come up with three possible ways to use the pictures in teaching the song.  

1.  Use only the color set.  When the children have learned the entire song, remove the pictures one at a time.

2.  Cover the color set with the black and white set.  Remove the black and white picture, uncovering the color picture, as the children learn each phrase.  Explain to the children that Heavenly Father loves us so much that he not only gave us a world to live in, but he made it wonderful and beautiful so that we could find joy in His creations.

3.  Cover the color set with the black and white set.  Teach the entire song, using the black and white photos.  When the children know the song, play the following game.  Give the children a small item to pass around the room as they sing the song.  (I plan to bring a small globe.) When the song ends, whoever is holding the item chooses a picture that he/she would like to uncover.  The child answers the question on the back of the black and white photo, uncovering the color photo, and the game begins again.  Continue until all the color pictures are uncovered.  Explain that God wants us to find joy in His creations.  Questions are listed below.


 Picture 1:  "Whenever I hear the song of a bird"





Picture 2:  "Or look at the blue, blue sky"




Picture 3:  "Whenever I feel the rain on my face"





Picture 4:  "Or the wind as it rushes by"




Picture 5:  "Whenever I touch a velvet rose"




Page 6:  "Or walk by a lilac tree"



Page 7:  "I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world / Heavenly Father created for me."
(NOTE:  I chose this picture because it represents where I live in Holland.  Feel free to use it or to choose a photograph of where you live.)




Page 8:  "He gave me my eyes that I might see / The color of butterfly wings."




Page 9:  "He gave me my ears that I might hear / The magical sound of things."




Page 10:  "He gave me my life, my mind, my heart."







Page 11:  "I thank Him reverently."



Page 12:  "For all His creations, of which I'm a part."






Page 13:  "Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me."




Sample Questions for Teaching Option 3

Page 1:  Why do you think that birds sing?  What are some other sounds you hear in nature?

Page 2: What are some of the beautiful things that Heavenly Father put in the sky?

Page 3:  Do you like the rain?  Why do you think Heavenly Father created rain?

Page 4:  What is your favorite season?  Why do you like it so much?

Page 5:  Heavenly Father made lots of soft things.  What is one thing that you like to touch?

Page 6:  Lilacs smell so sweet.  What is your favorite smell?  Why do you think Heavenly Father made some things smell so good?

Page 7:  Name a beautiful place you've been.  What made it so beautiful?

Page 8: What is your favorite color?  What is one of Heavenly Father's creations that's your favorite color.

Page 9: What is your favorite song?  How does it make you feel?

Page 10:  Are you most grateful for your life, your mind or your heart?  Why?

Page 11:  We thank Heavenly Father by praying to Him.  What are two things you can thank Heavenly Father for when you say your prayers tonight?

Page 12:  Who created you?

Page 13:  Why do you think Heavenly Father made all of these beautiful things for us?


18 comments:

  1. Found your blog via Sugardoodle. Just printed off your pictures and plan on doing a variation of your hot-potato idea activity. Thanks so much! You help me look good in my calling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are Beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided what I am going to do with these! I will use just the color pictures laminate, then tape question to back, then cover with heart. Place on board heart side up have children pick, remove heart then answer question and replace on board picture facing out. I do plan on copying and pasting your images into a word document and then saving as a pdf and then, if it is okay with you, post the pdf on scribd so I can imbed it in my blog. I will totally give credit to you with a link to your blog on my post and scribd. But if it isn't okay, I understand and won't post it at all. Thanks! you can reach me at henckelhouse (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your activity idea. If you link to my blog, you can repost! The more people it helps, the better :)

      Delete
    2. Oh Thanks so much! I will make sure there is a link both places!! Now I've got to get to work!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm a new primary president with no chorister so guess what? It's me! And I have not a shred of visual talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll gladly come to Basel and help you out! My husband gets to run down there for work sometimes and I'm DYING to go.

      Delete
  5. These are so helpful, thank you! Only one thing I'd do differently is change the cartoon picture of Heavenly Father. The Handbook tells us we are not supposed to use those types of pictures to represent deity. But thank you for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about that, too. Do you know where the actual guidelines on this are? I wanted to read through them again. I felt that if they were done respectfully it might be acceptable. I'm not sure how to do some of these songs without depicting Heavenly Father and Jesus in some way. Does anyone else have an opinion on whether it's allowable? (Of course, I think everyone should follow their own inspiration regardless of mine or consensus:) )

      Delete
    2. So, I looked at the guidelines again last night and I saw where we're told not to have the children role-play Heavenly Father or the Holy Spirit, but I couldn't find anything about clipart. I know I've seen official clipart that depicted both Heavenly Father and the Savior, so I don't think that it's forbidden, but it may need to be realistic. I specifically avoided making them look any MORE realistic because I didn't want to portray their features incorrectly. For now, I think I will keep the pictures of Christ and avoid using Heavenly Father in the future. If anybody else has thoughts, please share. I do want to follow guidelines.

      Delete
  6. The outline mentions using a child placing his hands over his heart for the phrase, "Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me." To avoid the cartoon picture of Heavenly Father, you could use a picture of a child with his/her hands over their heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I've been working on changing it, just to be safe, but it actually takes a lot of work so I'm not going to have it ready for this week unfortunately. I've seen church-approved clipart that shows Heavenly Father, so I don't think anybody is going to be excommunicated for using it, but I'll avoid it in the future.

      Delete
  7. thank you for sharing all of your work! Your art is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're singing this song in my Sunbeam class today and your beautiful art is perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your beautiful art and ideas!! Sharing your talents is truly a blessing to me as I teach my little ones these hymns.

    ReplyDelete